Despite my good intentions, the day seems to have mostly disappeared before I got to the blog. And while I may be slow in arriving, my excitement has been building all day.
When I first wrote about my intentions to identify and document a weekly blessing, I was amazed at the number of people who embraced the idea and wanted to join me on this journey. Perhaps a project like this one seemed less daunting that a Photo A Day. Or maybe we're all mindful of the changes that have occurred all around us in recent months and just want to focus more on the positives in our lives. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for each and every one of you.
I'm grateful too for Lisa Wilkins. As she has from time to time, Lisa commented on that post indicating she would be undertaking the project. And in a subsequent exchange of e-mails she volunteered to set up an online home for our Gratitude Project. I was thrilled. Not only had I not thought of such a resource but I wouldn't know where or how to begin to put one together. But Lisa does, and I'm overwhelmed at the generous gift of her time and talent. I can't thank her enough for all she's done.
We've been collaborating for the past month or so, and the website is now ready for visitors. We hope you'll be a part of the Gratitude Project.
There are so many great features to help us as we go through 2009 documenting our blessings. We have a message board to support and encourage one another; places to share quotes, inspiring websites and resources, and a photo gallery where you can upload your weekly photos and pictures of your project as its being created. Best of all, it's not my website but our website...a place where everyone can add content and mold it into what we want it to be. A true community.
Each week I'll post a little prompt...just something to spark a thought or two, hopefully helpful ones. But I'm not Dr. Phil nor do I want to be. I'm just me trying to be the best me I can be, and I see this project as another avenue in that journey. Your ideas have every bit as much weight and importance as mine, and that's why I hope you'll participate and share them with me and everyone else who is working toward the same goal.
The website gives us a place for more conversation and information, but the blog will still have a role as the year progresses. There's even a place at the Gratitude Project for you to list your blog so I can get to know you better, too.
So come by...check it out. I hope you'll join and share but lurkers are welcome, too. I know you probably already belong to other online communities and this isn't meant to replace them. Just think of it as a comfortable stop on your lap around the Internet where the focus is the good things in our lives.
I'm assembling a mailing list relating to our yearly project, too. If you'd like to be included, e-mail me using the link under my photo and I'll add you to the list.
After finishing the final touches on the website, I spent the rest of the day working on the book that will hold my 52 blessings. There were so many good options that would have worked and I delayed my decision until the very end. Here's the final result:
I chose a clear acrylic folder tab from Bind-It-All. The 7.5"x5" format should be large enough for some design flexibility but small enough to complete the weekly entry easily. The green paper let me add some color and texture to the cover, but the holes fit in well with the clear acrylic. Plus it matched that ribbon I've been eager to use. The paper was applied with spray glue, and while it seemed to bond well, I reinforced the edges with some Therm O Web Super Tape...my go-to adhesive when I really want things to stick. And I added an identical piece to the back side for a more finished look.
The first page serves as an introduction...a place to document the purpose of the album. I liked how the die-cut journaling sheet peeked out from behind the green paper yet still would allow some of the subsequent page(s) to show. Adhering it to a strip of cardstock provided a margin for binding.
And binding is still up in the air. I'd really like to use my Bind-It-All but I'm concerned the book may become too large for the wires. If so, I'll move to Plan B and use rings. Until I know, I'll just rock along and see how things progress before making that decision. The ribbon was applied with temporary adhesive for now so I can easily remove it when I figure out how the book will go together.
There isn't a back cover at the moment. I intended to use another sheet of the clear acrylic, but I don't really like the look of another tab so I may construct a cover out of chipboard and cover it with a coordinating paper. I see this whole project developing and unfolding as the year progresses.
So there you go...a new website, a new album, a new project, a new year. That's a lot of beginnings...and I'm grateful for all of them.
Supplies: Clear Acrylic Folder Tabs, Zutter; Paper: Creative Imaginations; Stickers: 7gypsies; Letter stickers and rub-ons: American Crafts; Ribbon: May Arts; Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper; Die-Cut Journaling Sheet: Making Memories.