Rain, rain, go away! That's the song that's on everyone's mind, locals and tourists alike. Not that I had plans to move or anything but nearly a full week of gray skies and regular downpours cements my belief that I could never live in the Pacific Northwest. I NEED my sunshine...and soon!
We've been sandwiched between a stationary front to the west and a high pressure system to the east that's just funneling a steady stream of moisture up from the Gulf. It rains then it rains hard then it eases up and starts the process all over again.
And there's proof that I'd never make it as a meteorologist. I looked at the radar yesterday morning and promptly told Wayne we should head to the store an hour earlier than our usual departure time. There was a line of heavy rain west of it and we could beat it if we'd leave immediately. We did...and five minutes down the road it was raining so hard you could hardly see to drive. And we went east! We trudged in and out of the store with rain coming down in buckets and wouldn't you know, it let up to a drizzle by the time we got home...which was about the time we'd have left on a normal Saturday.
The rain has been a constant factor since at least Wednesday. As of last night the rain gauge at the golf course showed we had 6" in July and it's rained off and on all day today. All of that is on top of the 24" of rain we got in June. I don't know what the official rainfall totals are but unofficially, we've had a lot of rain in our neighborhood.
As with everything, there's a good side. We haven't had to run the sprinkler. The sandy soil means it seeps away quickly so there hasn't been much localized flooding. Any talk of an area drought has stopped. All the clouds mean the temperatures are cooler; I'll take highs below 80 degrees in July any day. And heavy rains mean smaller crowds at the grocery store.
But all good things must come to an end, and I'm ready for the rain to move on. Tomorrow's 40% chance has me excited...but then it's only 60% for today and I doubt we've gone longer than 30 minutes at a time without the sky shedding tears on us.
I'm officially tired of rain. Bring on the sunshine!